Friday, December 16, 2011

We are marathoners!

On December 3rd, 2011 and after 18 long weeks of training, Bob and I became marathoners!!! We have both ran multiple half marathons and Bob has completed many triathlons, 2 century rides and a half ironman....so this was next on both of our lists. It was so great to do it together in Memphis and I did this run in memory of my brother Brian and in honor of my sister-in-law Linda who is battling breast cancer. What made it even more amazing was that December 3rd was BOTH of their birthdays. How crazy.
I won't go into much detail about how I was feeling very very sick with a stomach bug during the race and how it was just not the best run for me because no matter what, I finished it (in 5 long hours). Bob's knee gave him some issues so he didn't have as best of a race as he could have either (still an impressive 4:09). We are both considering a do-over in October and might sign up for the Chicago marathon. It would be fun to run through some of our old downtown neighborhoods. So, we are officially marathoners....but might need to give it another shot to really be satisfied! :)
The racers before the race.
Bob, me, Lara (my amazing running buddy), Brad and Richard
Finally finishing after about 8 bathroom stops....I still don't know how I was able to even continue on and finish. I was not about to let all that training be for nothing!!!

We did it!
We didn't get to go out for a fun night to celebrate since I felt so sick but we made a quick stop for lunch for some yummy memphis food before we left. We were wearing our matching marathon shirts! Why not, right!
Probably one of the best meals Bob has ever had!

No comments: