Thursday, June 2, 2016

Track meets and another end of a school year

Trying to catch up on the blog (the blog I just can't seem to give up) before summer gets really busy.
 
I absolutely love how the kids school and the district introduce track and field (and cross country) in elementary school. It is not just a sport to sign up for but a unit in PE that they spend a few weeks on beginning in 3rd grade. Then 4th and 5th graders can stay after school 2-3 times per week for a few weeks and have the chance to get selected to run in the District track meet. I ran track and cross country in high school and I just love to experience it with my kids now.
 
 
A few pics from the 4th grade track meet.  
 

 
Getting ready to run the 800....my race back in the day. ;)


 
I tried not to pressure Addison with this race. I told her it would be great to beat her time from last year and I cheered her along the way. She is not the most determined when it comes to sports but she usually puts in a good effort. I was super impressed that she pushed herself harder than I had ever seen. No matter the time, I was crazy impressed because she gave it everything she had and got a time of 3:17....which I think is pretty awesome. 



Addison also did the triple jump. She never really talked about it before and I showed up a bit late to the meet thinking she didn't care much for the triple jump...but somehow she got 2nd place. Wow. She didn't get those long legs and that ability from me.
 
To wrap things up, these ladies got 2nd place in the 4 x 100 relay. 


 
Addison wanted to stay for the optional track practices after school and I told her that she might not get selected to run in the district meet. I told her to just try her best and see what happens.
She was trilled to be selected and ran the 4 x 100 relay with 3 of her friends. They got 3rd place!!!


 
Finally it was Lucas's turn for his first track meet. I am telling you...there is tough competition among the boys in his grade. He was so excited though. He did pretty well in the long jump to start. I didn't get pictures of his relay (they had to run the relays another day due to the heat and time) but they got 2nd.


 
Lucas was super excited to run the mile. I was very worried because I knew it was gonna be very hard for him especially since I know he is more of a sprinter. I tried to just let it go and not worry...it is only the school track meet and really not a huge deal. Only 4 boys were running this race but these boys are good runners. Lucas was in 4th place for just about the entire race but he wasn't far behind the other boys.


 
Then with about 200 meters to go he caught up with the boy in 3rd place...and then sprinted the rest and finished in 3rd. He said it was his plan all along. Funny guy. He finished in 7:32 which I know isn't crazy fast but I was very impressed. He gave it all he had and that is what is most important. 


 
So that's a summary of track. I can't wait for next year.
 
 
Lucas just finished a few week golf clinic...and he loved it!!!! He is doing a camp in a few weeks that he is really excited about. 


 
A few weeks ago Lucas's baseball club got to walk on the field before the Cardinal's game. It was a great experience for him...and a great night for a game. 





 
Then all of a sudden...the school year was over. This school year went by WAY TOO FAST!!!!!
 
Goodbye 4th and 3rd grade....it was a fantastic year for both of them with absolutely amazing teachers.
Next year will be crazy. Addison will be a 5th grader...in the 5th grade hallway, doing all the 5th grade activities, her last year in elementary school. Lucas will be right behind her in 4th grade. Their last year in elementary school together. I can hardly handle all of this. Didn't they just start kindergarten?


 
And now it is summer break....we have a lot planned as usual and hopefully we can check off all of these boxes. 


No comments: